Healing your Emotional Self
If you are one of the thousands of people who as a child were emotionally abused, neglected or smothered by your parents, you likely suffer from low self-esteem or body-image issues. You are probably never satisfied with yourself no matter how much success you may experience, and you may have a very vocal inner critic always pointing out your flaws. Or you may be preoccupied with your body and determine your self-worth by how your body looks. In this breakthrough guide, Beverly Engel, one of the world’s leading experts on emotional, physical, and sexual abuse, explains how to heal the damage to your self-image and self-esteem caused by negative parental messages. In Healing Your Emotional Self Engel offers her highly effective Mirror Therapy program to help you reject the distorted images your parents either intentionally or unintentionally projected onto you. She explores the seven types of emotionally abusive or neglectful parents and the seven most common parental “mirrors,” providing specific advice and recovery strategies for each one.
This innovative step-by-step program provides you with the skills you need to:
- Create a positive self-image separate from your abusive parents’ distorted picture.
- Separate emotionally from your parents and provide for yourself what you missed as a child.
- Overcome your tendency toward self-blame, self-hatred and self-destructiveness.
- Learn self-nurturing and set effective limits to help you control your tendency to overeat, drink too much, overspend and/or overwork.
- Discover who you really are separate from your parents’ projections.
- Become the person you are meant to be by being more accepting of yourself.
- Hard cover published by John Wiley and Sons, 2006
- Behavioral Science Book Club
- Interview on DrAlvinJones.com
- Korean Rights Sold