Two Quizzes for Couples in Constant Conflict
If you answer yes to even one of the following questions, you could be a partner in a mutually destructive, emotionally abusive relationship.
Are You Being Emotionally Abused?
- Do you feel as if your partner treats you like a child?
- Does your partner routinely ridicule, dismiss, or disregard your opinions and feelings?
- Do you find yourself “walking on eggshells,” wary of your partner’s mood?
- Is your partner jealous and resentful of the time you spend with friends and family?
- Does your partner usually insist on making the decisions and getting his own way?
- Does your partner punish you by pouting, withdrawing, or withholding sex?
- Does you partner constantly accuse you of flirting or having affairs, without foundation?
- Does your partner seem impossible to please, finding fault with whatever you do?
- Does your partner frequently put you down in front of others?
- Does your partner blame you for his or her own problems?
- Does your partner viciously tease and then accuse you of not being able to take a joke?
- Does your partner find it impossible to apologize or admit when he is wrong?
- Does your partner pressure you to engage in sexual acts that you find abhorrent?
Are You Being Emotionally Abusive?
- Do you perceive of yourself as being smarter or somehow “better than” your partner?
- Do you threaten to leave the house or end the relationship when you don’t get your way?
- Do you think your partner is too sensitive and easily bruised by your teasing?
- Have you ever denied saying or doing something to make your partner doubt his sanity?
- Do you experience frequent mood shifts, going from loving to rejecting within minutes?
- Do you believe your partner should be willing to have sex whenever you are in the mood?
- Do you believe your partner should put other things aside to tend to your needs?
- Do you often telephone your partner at work or at home for reassurance of his love?
- Do you question your partner incessantly about her activities when you are apart?
- Do you insist on being in control of the money in the relationship?
- Do you expect your partner to always have the same opinions and passions as you?
- Have you ever threatened to destroy something of value to your partner?
- Have you ever thrown or broken objects in an attempt to scare your partner?